Tuya has officially joined the “Talks With Homey” program

I would expect in this case basically all Tuya devices will be available at some point, right?

You can expect that, but it isn’t what they have written…

I would say, Time will tell…
(And for me it isn’t said that Newer Devices wil be supported soon, or ever.)

We just need to have a little bit more patience

1 Like

The functionality hinges on how Tuya’s API manages different device types. Although I’m the partnerships guy and in no shape or form a developer, my assumption is that the API will categorize each device under a specific class. We will then, probably, construct devices based on these classes.

Tuya has indicated that our API endpoint will function similarly to the one used by Home Assistant. You might want to review the list of devices supported there for further details (Link).

So as long as your device falls within one of these device types it should work :wink: :+1:

7 Likes

All sounds great! Can’t wait to see it working.
Thanks for the update:-)

I don’t even know if this is possible but the dream would be if the Homey acted as the WiFi AP as well. The sheer number of IPs that Tuya can hog can impact even high end routers. I use a secondary AP in a daisy chain, but for the less tech savvie, this would be a massive extra win for Homey over rivals.

Like I say, probably not even possible but putting it out into the universe…

depends on the wifi chipset used in homey… and you’d have to have new homey pro connected to internet by ethernet. In that case, if chipset/drivers supports it, it could in theory work as an AP. Anyways, as the traffic from these devices is next to none, even tens of devices should not really affect average router…

1 Like

Hmmm… Tell Netgear that. :smile:

1 Like

not a topic for this discussion, anyways, issues with router are usually not number of devices connected to it… at least not any “current” router. It usually boils down to interference (especially on 2.4ghz these devices use), or coverage (no router on 5GHz can penetrate multiple walls retaining good speeds no matter what marketing tells you… it’s physics). Also most modern routers have radios for both 2.4 and 5GHz… 2.4 is I’d say useless in terms of speed and interference nowadays, so I guess all your devices requiring fast internet are connected to 5GHz (if not, you should do that) and 2.4 should be only for “dumb” devices like these tuya things. At least that’s the setup I’m running at home :slight_smile:
almost 10yrs old router (but top of the line), ~5 devices on 5GHz, ~15 on 2.4 and no issue whatsoever… rest is zigbee :slight_smile:

Yep to all this, in terms of set up. Only reason I mention it in this thread is because it would be relevant to the development of the new app - but I take your points entirely and with gratitude.

Homey uses the Wifi/Bluetooth module thats present on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module for connectivity. I don’t think that will hold up when connecting a whole lot of IOT devices.

I do however like the sound of this, would be pretty cool that you could use the Homey Pro as your Wifi router / accespoint for all your smart home devices :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t get your hopes up, the RPi can handle about 10 clients at most (or a bit more with a special firmware which you probably don’t want to run).

1 Like

Beginning to wish I’d copyrighted this idea… :joy:

Too late :stuck_out_tongue:

@Doekse Great that Tuya is getting on board, sad that its a cloud based service, you know it, i know it, everything cloud based sucks, but better than nothing.

When Tuya came onboard the Homey platform, was there any requirements pushed down from Tuya to Athom regarding availability of non tuya approved apps on the appstore or support of Tuya devices outside the new to come official Tuya app?

My understanding of Tuya is that its very closed and the main business model for the company is data, when the product is to cheap, you are the product.

To make it in short therms, will other apps, working localy today or in the future, be removed or restricted from the platform when the new cloud based Tuya app is released?

Kind regards.

If there is an official app, supported by Tuya, why on earth would you continue to use work arounds?

It’s not like the current way of controlling Tuya devices is not using the cloud. If you have issues or concerns regarding your data, you shouldn’t buy Tuya

Because a lot of “official” apps are pretty badly maintained?

Ok, fair point. However, the question from A.Hallberg boils down to:“The ‘Works with Tuya’ initiative is cloud based, will my ‘local’ Tuya app still work? Or is Athom going to be forced to remove those?”
I don’t think there is a ‘local’ app for Tuya

It is our platform and Tuya has nothing to say about which Apps are and aren’t allowed here :wink:

1 Like

I know. And the concern that A.Hallberg has is, that Tuya in return for the “Works with Homey” favor will block the other access. I am pretty sure they will not do that. The current Homey app is not the only app using that route