[APP][Pro] SMA Solar devices

Partly OT, sorry.

The SMA App is feeding data for the sun part.

Just wanted to give you an idéa what you can do with the PV power. I have a tablet with an Node Red dashboard feed with Sun (sol), Total house (hus) and heat pump (panna) power toghether with the current electricity price (elpris) via MQTT from Homey.

The gauge is what you are doing with the homey. A delta with sun minus house. Negative value is when power is drawn from the grid and visualized in red. Positive values when sun production is greater than total house consumption and visualized in green.

The graph is just a 1 hour history of sun, house and heat pump.

A great project as I scored WAF 9.

Back on topic,
My only gripe is that the SMA app sometimes stop feeding values to Homey. It’s not crashing, just stops feeding. Restarting the app 1-4 times work around the issue. Next time, can I do something to extract information for troubleshooting?

\ Andreas

It actually crashed hard just now with the pause symbol. Sending a diag report with a reference to forum post 162.

Unfortunately, that diag report is not especially useful (picture below) :frowning:
How regularly does this happen, can you use install the app via CLI and capture the error this way?

Impressively informative stack trace report :wink:

Issue occurs intermittently between every day (rarely) to a few weeks apart.

I’ve reinstalled the app via CLI. How do I go about to capture the error?

If you run homey app run it will output logs to your terminal window - this is the simplest way I know of to capture the output from an app. Problem is that your laptop, or where you run this command from, can’t go into sleep mode, then the connection is broken and the log output won’t be shown.

Installed this app yesterday for my new PV installation. The app works like a charm with my SB3.0-1AV-41. Does someone know why it keeps showing the ‘operational status’ as ‘information not available’? What should it be showing?

It should work for SB3 AV-41. Can you check which firmware version you are running. If you go to advanced settings (cogwheel top right corner on the screen you showed in the image, then advanced settings - there is a field called software version.)

These values should be available;

• 295: MPP (Mpp)
  • 381: Stop (Stop)
  • 443: Constant voltage (VolDCConst)
  • 1392: Fault (Flt)
  • 1393: Waiting for PV voltage (WaitPV)
  • 1467: Start (Str)
  • 1469: Shut down (Shtdwn)
  • 1480: Waiting for utilities company (WaitUtil)
  • 1855: Stand-alone operation (SocOp)
  • 2119: Derating (Drt)
  • 16777213: Information not available (NaNStt)

Thanks for the quick reply! See the screenshot:

The debug fault on the bottom of the screen was because of changing the IP…

Nothing obvious came up. Looked at newest modbus spec and field is there.
Don’t know if more users experience this problem?

Ik heb de app nog eens opnieuw geïnstalleerd. Maar zonder resultaat. Echt niemand anders dit probleem?

Hi,
I have STP 8.0 since 6 months and it works great with the SMA app. I recently got an energy meter installed and it was discovered and added. After aprox 12 hours it hanged. I got no new values from it. The inverter is still works in the app and the inverter gets values from the energy meter. I can see that on the inverter local webpage.
I then removed the energymeter from homey and tried to add it again. Homey can no longer find it. I have done a reset on the energy meter using the reset button on it for 5 secs. After that I had to reenter the password on it.
I have downloaded the repo from github and installed it using the node.js cli
The app is V2.1.6 and has a label saying development.
I ran
homey app run --clean
and had to re-add the inverter.
This is the log from nod.js homey:

Sending discovery datagram
Found SMA device at: 192.168.1.168
Collecting device info, found 1 devices.
{ host: '192.168.1.168', port: 502, autoClose: true }
Client connected on IP '192.168.1.168'
2020-12-13 17:48:33 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] Adding to devices: STP 8.0-3AV-40
Client closed for IP '192.168.1.168'
2020-12-13 17:48:37 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] Found '1' inverter(s)
2020-12-13 17:48:47 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] SMA inverter initiated, 'STP 8.0-3AV-40'
{ host: '192.168.1.168', port: 502, refreshInterval: 5 }
Client connected on IP '192.168.1.168'
Timers initialized
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Setting up capabilities
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'measure_power'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'meter_power'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'measure_voltage'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'measure_yield'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'operational_status.health'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'operational_status'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'measure_voltage.dcA'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'measure_voltage.dcB'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'measure_power.dcA'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Device has capability 'measure_power.dcB'
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Assigning new capability names
2020-12-13 17:48:48 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Calculate manual daily yield: 'true'
2020-12-13 17:48:53 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Total yield store value is '0', setting it to '4207115'
2020-12-13 17:52:02 [log] [ManagerDrivers] [inverter] [0] Renaming SMA inverter from 'STP 8.0-3AV-40' to 'STP 8.0-3AV-40'

When I try to add the energy meter there is no logging being printed at all and it says ‘looking for units’ and then ‘No SMA Energy Meters found’.
I can access the local webpage for both inverter and energy meter. I am using the default port 502 for modbus on the inverter. The app works well for the inverter.
The energy meter has FW 2.0.18.R
What can be wrong?

Hi!

The communication with the Inverter is via TCP on port 502. Your homey will connect and pull information from the inverter.

The communication from EnergyMeter/HomeManager is based on UDP multicast where the EnergyMeter once per second pushes out the current values. In this case, the only thing the app does is open a local socket on your Homey on port 9522 and multicast address 239.12.255.254. Assuming your Homey is able to receive UDP multicast from your EnergyMeter it should work since it is a quite simple and stable setup.

When you add the inverter to your Homey, is the SMA app able to auto-discover it for you or do you have to add it by entering the IP address of it? If the latter, then it would confirm that UDP multicast is blocked in your local network. The discovery of SMA devices is also based on UDP multicast, they call it Speedwire.

Hi,
Thanks for a quick reply.
I am using Ubiquiti APs and there is a problem with multicast functionality on them. Maybe it works between the inverter and the emergy meter because both of them are wired. I will look into the multicast problem on my wireless network.
The SMA app found the inverter automatically. No need for manual IP.
Thanks for the help.

Hi, I have a second zone on 1 of my inverter since yesterday. how can I read the produced of the zones separately ?

Thanks
Jeroen

Can you explain me what MPP A and MPP B means ?

MPP I believe stands for Maximum Power Point. An SMA Tripower inverter, for instance, has two MPP trackers with each 1 or more string inputs. In my setup, I have two strings of solar panels, 22 panels in each string. They are connected to string input 1 of MPP A and MPP B respectively. So I use both MPP trackers in my inverter, but only 1 of the 3 string inputs that each MPP tracker has.
Having the information available in the app means I can easily compare the output of the two strings since they are in the same direction and have the same number of panels.

I guess someone else is better suited to explain the concept of MPP in general :slight_smile:

Hi!
Not sure what you mean with zone? Using more than one MPP as per the previous question or you have more than one string on a single MPP?
Currently in the app I only split by MPP, not by string since there can be quite a few. My inverter has support for 6 strings in total as an example.

Thanks for the quick reply Richard :wink:

He Richard
Thank voor the replay.
I have made a picture of one of my devices. A you can see its has a MPP A and a MPP B image|233x500

But I can’t read them out with a flow or so.

Gr
Jeroen

You can use logic to call the value…