Homey Community Forum

Backups on the way?

chancellor

My firewall pointed this out to me this morning

1 Like

Athom has already announced firmware v3 and Backup & Restore has been high on everyone’s wish list (plus Athom have said it’s being worked on for more than a year now, so it’s about time :stuck_out_tongue: ). However, I didn’t expect it to be a cloud-hosted service, nor would I imagine that Homey is uploading its data without your explicit consent.

(I’m also not sure how your firewall reverse-looked up the IP-address to that hostname, because it looks like Amazon uses a wildcard for *.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com, so there’s no reverse lookup possible)

1 Like

I seem to remember the backup an restore funtionality to be cloud based, to service people that are in the moblie first (only?) world.

(Perhaps caching of previous dns resolves and matching subsequent traffic)

Its seems like they are and my firewall did

Both make sense :+1:t2:still, I assume that the backup functionality can be disabled if I don’t appreciate my Homey data to be uploaded to the cloud.

1 Like

Its using ARP spoofing and is intercepting the traffic so it knows where it is being sent

could be the DNS traffic passing through the firewall, so no magic involved…

Ah, ok. Just curious, what firewall is it?

Anyway it’s about HIGH time backups are added. Already on my second homey and I won’t manually migrate anymore. If it should stop working I Will find another solution that has backup options.