Do Athom even care?

That last part was in general. Not directed at anyone.

1 Like

I don’t think Tado removed the home/away features.
I unchecked auto-update for the Tado app, because I knew about the upcoming removal of that feature.
I run the older version Tado app, and it still supports user-based home/away.
The comment I read from Athom is: it’s no longer possible FOR US technically to keep this feature.
They recommended home/away feature that’s built-in in Homey. I never got that working, and I believe I’m not the only one.

Bottom line, Athom sometimes removes functionality and there’s no new feature or workaround.
I understand people are frustrated by that.

Some answers I got from Athom gave me the feeling: “Don’t whine and just accept. Move on. Good luck, bye.”

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s perfectly understandable. But that’s not the thing with this app - it has timing- and update problems. Since this app was made by an independent developer, we cannot blame Athom for this. The underlying problem though is an Athom problem: zigbee instability and what happens when things go haywire. Worst case: a (group of) devices need to be repaired and one has to go in and fix all flows that use any of these devices. That points to a deeper issue IMHO that seems to be typical to the challenges this growing company faces.

Yeah, I know, the “zigbee rewrite” promises to fix the instability. We’re all eagerly waiting for this update - it was promised to be there “within a couple of weeks” since the first beta release in April. That’s half a year ago and no progress to speak of if I interprete the comments from the beta testers correctly. We can only hope it will be stable and released before X-mas 2020 (fingers crossed!).

Nope, I’m running the latest stable release, 4.2.0.

Hmm. That’s a surprise. Its strange that some have issues and some dont. Zigbee is stable on my device using 4.2.0. i only have issues when i switch multiple devices at the same time and that is simply solved by setting timings in my flows. i wonder if it is related to wifi interference.
That said. The zigbee rewrite is not something that athom would do for the fun of it. There must be something wrong. Its just wierd that so many have issues that i dont have. The only issue i have is the absence of the old pc desktop application or a blocky style flow editor. But that is a whole other discussion. And a editor is useless if the devices itself dont work like they should.

I don’t know what you mean by “timing- and update problems” specifically (I’m sure you already created an issue on Github about it), but if I were to hazard a guess I think you may have issues with switching groups of devices from flows? Where one or multiple devices in the group don’t get switched, and others are, seemingly random?

This happens a lot!

“this” should happen. otherwise your flows dont work.
Its all “if this, then that” there is no that without this. :clown_face:

[quote=“Kriebelkous, post:65, topic:37505”]
Zigbee is stable on my device using 4.2.0. i only have issues when i switch multiple devices at the same time and that is simply solved by setting timings in my flows. [/quote]
I was fairly happy with the way zigbee behaved until recently. It could very well be an indication of sloppy testing: instead of just testing “the positives”, one should test system behavior in case the unthinkable happens. How does the UUT recoup from unexpected system behavior? In my case: I was happy with zigbee until the day this guy from the BAM (unintentionally) switched the mains off and on a couple of times. Homey lost data and then showed its weak side: it’s a house of cards. If an internal connection fails, chances are one is royally… euhm… f’d.

This is not the place to discuss the issues with that app. I did not investigate the exact source of the probs I had with it, simply ran out of time (and the WAF is getting pretty low on homey as it is without me toying around with it).

Sorry, i assume you try to explain something with this reaction, but it’s completely incomprehensible…

Reading this thread and considering a purchase…Over this past year I have been sorting smart devices throughout my house, didn’t see the point in buying a hub before devices. Loved how Homey appears to work, the videos on YouTube etc. As my devices are all Hue lights which was going to connect to homey via the hue hub, actually two hubs as I have now approximately 70 hue devices, heating is entirely Tado, I have about 10 Shelly devices. All of these are fairly mainstream and seem to be supported on Homey. So, went to buy a Homey Pro, I live in UK and was on UK site, price quoted in pounds sterling, click add to basket and price changes to Euro, OK fine. However there is no option to deliver to UK, at all. Contacted Homey support and when they responded I was told that they have too many problems with the UK customers and it wasn’t worth it for them. They suggested I purchase via vesternet, fine but… What problems. The entire conversation with Homey did nothing but cause concerns and they have not responded to my followup question, is the problem with the store and delivery or us it a technical problem with Homey. Does anyone have any insight on this, it screams “run away” which I really wasn’t expecting.

1 Like

Wow, that’s pretty eye opening. As a UK user that screams volumes over their strategy as late where they seem to be dropping support from UK smart home systems, offering minimal support, newsletters which ignore the UK existence…
I’d love to know what they mean by “too many problems” - consumers asking for support isn’t a problem, that’s a market…!

Seems the premise of my original question “Do Athom even care” is a… " Not if you’re in the UK"

2 Likes

They have just this second responded, the problem is related to billing, which is odd. They assure me that there are no technical difficulties with Homey in the UK. But it has caused an amount of doubt. Previously I had looked at home assistant and decided against because it didn’t look as user friendly, a low WAF, also Hubitat, I know someone who has one and he quite likes it but the UI is not as nice as homey and they don’t list Tado as supported anywhere. Hence Homey and I was buying devices that were most likely to work and had a high WAF. What I am after at this point is a unified interface and control, the means to have these different systems work as one smart home. Home assistant and hubitat works so that but neither seem to strike the right balance, for me anyway, between UI, logic, device compatibility.

Honestly, I think Home Assistant is your best bet. My wife doesn’t use anything that’s not linked to Alexa - even the Homey app while looking nice confuses her - it’s not that intuitive unless you actually created the flows etc yourself

Also, be careful seeing a Tado app and assuming it does what you want - it seems Athom removed some features from there as of late
My own experience (as mentioned above) with Hive shows that they’re unafraid of retiring apps when it doesnt serve them as well… I’d have more confidence if it was a user submitted app

1 Like

Thanks for your time, I’ll have to have a god look at Home Assistant again. Last I looked it appeared to be more complicated than I wanted, but maybe a fresh look will change that perception. It’s disappointing that some manufacturers are making it more difficult to interact with their devices outside of their own app but yet they are all clamoring to be on Google Home and Alexa. Tado app is nice, I don’t subscribe as there’s no need, they got a lot of my money upfront as every rad now has a smart trv, boiler control with water extension. I have Denon Heos speakers which work great with Spotify connect, sounds quality is superior to sonos but Denon app support us mediocre and no third party home hub seems to do a decent job. Other than that we use Google Home, Great voice recognition but primitive for scenes and automation. TLDR, nothing perfect as far as this past years homework has shown, every system has it’s advocates and detractors with valid reasons, too many permutations of equipment and environments. You pay your money and live with your choice

Definitely complicated to set up. Once set up, it’s no more complicated than Homey really

1 Like

This is not a ZigBee problem, but most likely related to how Homey handles several commands in a short time. I have the same issue with lights connected via Hue Bridge, and it’s only Homey which has issues. The same bridge is connected to SmartThings and Alexa, and there’s no problem trigging groups from either.

1 Like

I dont know what you mean. What do you mean by this" and did i state it was a zigbee problem?
Or are you replying to my comment on changing the timings to work arrount the issue

" i only have issues when i switch multiple devices at the same time and that is simply solved by setting timings in my flows"

Because you’re referring to “WiFi interference” as a possible cause, it’s not unexpected that people think you mean the cause could be a Zigbee issue.

Ah yes. i see. I need to rephrase.

“Its strange that some have issues and some dont. Zigbee is stable on my device using 4.2.0. i only have issues when i switch multiple devices at the same time and that is simply solved by setting timings in my flows. i wonder if it is related to wifi interference.”

needs to be.

“Its strange that some have issues and some dont, i wonder if it is related to wifi interference.Zigbee is stable on my device using 4.2.0. i only have issues when i switch multiple devices at the same time and that is simply solved by setting timings in my flows."

The timings are not wifi related… That is why i just change timings in my flows. Not always perfect, but it does work.

That’s why @Steinar_Sundberg said “[it’s] most likely related to how Homey handles several commands in a short time”.

It is indeed not specific to WiFi, Zigbee or Z-Wave.