Homeydash.com, a Homey dashboard

Hi there, I’m new to the Homey Dashboard but it seems like what I do NEED…Or at least the rest of my family does, so they can work with it when I’m not there…First I created my personal Dash, which was quite easy. Then I had an empty Dash, where I’ve read I have to put all my devices into “Favourite Devices”. And so I did, and now I have all my devices visible…But, this is not what I was looking for, as this is not “family friendly” :wink: Is there a possibility to not see my devices in the first place but, as a start, my Zones? So it is more kind of an overview? I just want to give my family a few buttons, not just a list of all my devices. Hope you can help me out :smile:

Best thing to do in that case is make a new user for every family member. That way they can all have their personal Dashboard with only the buttons they need.
For now it is not possible to show zones in Homeydash.com

I’ve never read that anywhere, Only the device you want to show on the Dashboard have to be put into the Favorites.

1 Like

Of course, you’re right. Only the devices you want to show there…True…

Okay, you mean a new Community user, so I can create a Dashboard for that particular user (family member) ?

And perhaps add virtual devices (starting flows) or groups to keep the dashboard clean.
So you can hide many devices and present only some buttons to work with.

2 Likes

What I find quite usefull is to combine certain lights, for example “Hue outdoor spot 1 t/m 8” combined in a single devices using the “group” app. This saves in you’re case 7 buttons on your dashboard. Off course I assume now you turn on or off all your outdoor lights at the same time.

No, you need a user for each dashboard in your Homey. And then get for those users the new token to use on the dashboard.

I’m pretty new with Homey, just working with the basics and implementing smart devices in my home. This is working fine, so I’ll get more and more devices showing up in my Homey Pro app.

Combining devices in 1 group you’re mentioning, is what I didn’t look for, yet, but is surely what I need to do to keep it clean as @RonnyW is also mentioning. It sure just needs to be “Achtertuin” (backyard) instead of having 8 outdoor spots visible in my Dashboard.

Can you tell me where to create such ‘groups’ or ‘starting flows’ ? What’s the difference?

That will give me enough homework to make it more kind of a Dashboard :smile:

Thanks a lot! :call_me_hand:

This app is very usefull to combine devices in a single device: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.swttt.devicegroups

I think it will explain itself

It does, looking at the app description. One question: Do I need to make new flows? Does ‘grouping’ effect current flows?

Thanks @KvM!

The group app creates a new device which combines common attributes of grouped devices. Means: if you group some lights the groups switches all on or off. No need for flows.
Flows are needed if you want to include some logic (IF THEN ELSE…)

Edit: Virtual devices (you have to activate “Experiments” in Homey app) can be used as trigger to start flows (for logic and changing special attributes which ist perhaps not possible in groups).

No, current flows are not altered by the group app :slight_smile:

Thank you @RonnyW. I’ve managed to create a Group as a start, for my 8 Hue Lily spots. That’s quite easy and what I was looking for. That, if for whatever reason, my wife wants to have them ON or OFF, she can do that with one buttonclick via this Dashboard. So, I think I can manage that.

But…also for Groups I could want to create a Flow. When my lights are off (they go OFF at a certain time during the night) and my Ring camera is reporting movement, they will need to turn ON. So that is a flow which I can use with my new Group.

But I already have this flow, where I activated spot 1-8 separately. So I need to make a new Flow, or does this flow keep working?

Of course, I can have a look when I’m home but maybe you already know :wink:

Thanks all and I will also dive into ‘Experiments’.

I guess I’ll need a list of most used apps, besides all the known ones. Never new there was a Group app or an Experiments app.

Have a great evening

The current flows don’t change so they will still work. You could however delete those eight flows and replace them by only one flow. But that’s entirely up to you.

1 Like

For users that are using the dashboard on an iPad or other tablet that want to lock / unlock (turn on and off) the tablet by Homey… For example controlled by a motion detector, or on during the day:
I’ve coded a firmware for a ESP 32 (cheap microcontroller). To emulate a Bluetooth keyboard. This way you can turn the tablet wireless on and off. A nice non intrusive solution. No need for soldering.

4 Likes

For Android I use the app “automagic” on the tablet. It has a built in http server. In the app you can define URLs the app is listening for.

• install “automagic” on the Android tablet
  • define a URL listening for, define actions (switch display on, start a Homscreen URL-link to HomeyDash…)
  • in Homey you install the app “HTTP request flow cards”.
  • create a flow which reacts on a motion sensor
  • In THEN part call HTTPRequestFlowCards with GET and the URL (IP of tablet + URL part set in automagic).
2 Likes

Interesting… I wonder if something is doable in the Shortcuts app in iOS. But waking up and locking down sounds like a deep system operation, and Apple is a bit more reserved with system operations.

I use on my Android Tablet the app calls FullyBrowser. There you can config a Display auto on/off by using the front Cam of the Tablet. Other Nice features from this app are fullscreen, Dim Mode, Lock the Tab to show only the Dash Link, turn the screen off by darkness and many more!
Works like a charm! :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s available on IOS too!?

2 Likes

I installed the dash software locally on my synology NAS, mounted a nice android tablet to the wall (it was formyly used for imperihome). made a chrome desktop app link to the diskstation so it runs full screen as an app The tablet has constant power, set screensaver to 30 seconds and disabled the option to keep screen on when it is charged.

Now after 30 seconds the screen dims and then turns off when i walk towards the tablet the screen turns on again.

To turn it automatically on again i used 2 (paid) apps:

• first (paid) app is motion detector: this apps lets your front (or back) camera of your tablet act like a motion camera, when it detects motion you can set what to do. I set it to send a system notification. The motion can be configured, sensitive, camera width etc
  • the second (paid) app is tasker. Here i made a profile that responds on the notification send by the motion detector app and made a task to turn screen ON.

It works like a charm, when you walk to the tablet it nicely turns on and after 30 seconds it turns off again.

4 Likes