How to set up IKEA tradfri gateway app?

Great, it works exactly as planned. But one “strange” thing happened, which maybe can be seen positive. Wrap up of solution; an IKEA hub Zigbee network (gateway to Homey) and the Homey Zigbee network both cover the area and everthing talks fluently with each other. Though one issue still exist; the Aqara motion sensor at the street triggers the flow of increase brightness to 100%, but it’s having between 5 and 10 seconds unwanted delay. I’ll try to find a solution for that…

Strange thing is the (automatic) created routing table, is shown below in the graphical overview. The Homey connects directly to the non branded Zigbee device about 50 metres away. My expectation what that the hops between were neccessary to reach the far end. But the opposite happened, the device 50 metres way is selected as accespoint for the devices closer by the house. (except the GU10 that is 2 metres from the Homey)

Maybe it’s interesting to know that this device looks quite powerfull in range, and so allows the user to expand the Homey nework in an easy (and cheap, approx 8 euro) way. (name of product on aliexpress; Zigbee Op/Off Controller Smart Switch App Afstandsbediening Smart Home Module AC85-265V 10A)

This one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000209855754.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.63d35ff51vEVxq&algo_pvid=1221194a-0d69-4d91-9c85-d7bc29bac445&algo_expid=1221194a-0d69-4d91-9c85-d7bc29bac445-4&btsid=0b0a556f16055540403991175e956e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Or this one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32871275991.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1846438edespVu&algo_pvid=a37ad9cd-7cd5-49f9-baa8-875e7b4763e2&algo_expid=a37ad9cd-7cd5-49f9-baa8-875e7b4763e2-1&btsid=0b0a556116055541357665666e11ce&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Homey’s overview of its Zigbee network isn’t complete. It could very well be that the non-branded device has both a direct connection and a connection through the GU10('s). Homey only shows a single route, where multiple can exist.

Interesting, learned something. I made my conslusion based on below;

Maybe strange question, but what’s the value of the routing table if it doesn’t show complete information (with what you could investigate issues, if they appear). I also assume that if the table shows that specific path, that’s the first choice, the strongest, or the one it’s using. I’m just trying to learn how the interpret the available information and optimize my implementation based on what I can see or analyze. (Like trying to eliminate the roughly 10 seconds delay between motion and increase of brightness.)

I didn’t included a link for the situation the advertisement is removed or another supplier is offering the same device.
I bought the following device, ad is currently still valid:

Node 17 could just as well have a direct connection to Homey and to node 18. I have no idea how Athom decides which route to show. There isn’t necessarily a “strongest” or “the one being used”, that’s all very dynamic within Zigbee.

To debug issues, especially with delays, it works to add notifications to your flows to see if receiving the motion event is the cause for delay (in which case it will also take 10 seconds before the notification appear) or the sending of the brightness command (in which case the notification will appear quickly, but the change of brightness takes 10 seconds after that).

Be aware that sending a change of brightness command to multiple devices (say 3 or more) from the same flow is likely a cause for delay, because Homey cannot handle that very well.

Hi I am stuck. Have one light on trådfri app direct, works fine. But totally unable to configure gw. Security code incorrect. Except it is not. I have entered the code 10 times, exactly as on the back, not accepted. Anyone have a clue? Identity field is empty, seems ok from what I read here.

Any help appreciated

Hi Robert !

Thanx for the steps mentioned above, helped me up till a certain point.
To add the bulbs to the gateway I seem to need an ikea light switch or remote control, the ikea app won’t let me add any lamps without a switch or remote :frowning: .

Is there anyways around this or do I have to go back to Ikea to buy some more stuff ?

From what I can remember (I haven’t used the gateway for a long time now) you can add bulbs to the gateway directly by moving them really close to gateway during pairing. After a bit of Googling, I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/tradfri/comments/8y6m64/gatewayonly_direct_connection_working/

Thanx Robert,

The post mentions the use of Home Assistent.
Do you think this would work with Homey, any idea how the sequence would go ? xD

Not having any luck with this method so far. . .

I actually input the password incorrectly 2 times.
Mistook upper case i for lower case L :sweat_smile:

The identity field should fill up automatically when the correct password is entered, at least thats what happened in my setup.

That made me check the fields again seems I have entered the security key in the PSK field… User error at its best. Thanks!

If that does not work, you only need one remote for all your bulbs, just move the remote or bulb in different rooms that you create in the app

It doesn’t matter which home automation platform you use, the goal is to add the bulbs to the gateway :slight_smile: But the Reddit post is rather old, perhaps this method was removed from the gateway in the mean time.

You’re right , thanx anyways!

Think I will just try it with the ikea remote controle :wink:

Herewith an update on my old response for those experiencing the same problems and searching for tips. Hope it is of any use. It’s also based on information from other topics.

• Did a full Zigbee (and Homey / Ikea hub) reset and build from scratch. The problem with IKEA GU10’s via the IKEA hub and via the Homey (because the need of routing points across property) resulted in delays in switching bulbs on separate Zigbee networks. Had to try something else.

• Because of this built again from scratch (resets) having one big IKEA Zigbee network (all GU10’s direct to the IKEA hub and with the gateway app added to Homey). And created one “side-Zigbee-network” on the same driveway location with some non-Ikea on/off controllers. This resulted in the ability to add Ikea bulbs everywhere and the use of Aqara motion detectors and other devices directly connected / via routers / to Homey.

• The result was a great operating network with (reasonable) fluent interaction and switching of Aqara and Ikea devices.

• Until the moment Homey lost (the app say’s temporary, but in the mean time it’s nearly a week) connection with several GU10’s connected via the Ikea gateway app. So now a lot of devices are on 24/7 on. I rebooted the Homey. Turned off Ikea hub, turned off homey, started the Ikea hub, waited an hour, started Homey and waited for days… Still no connection to several lights across property. On the driveway, but also in a room with high ceiling where ladder is needed to pair bulbs again. Imagine the frustration in the night at bedtime, turning of the lights and you need to get the ladder first, pair the lights again to reach turn off state - had this before. We are quite “handen in het haar” about what would result in a stable situation without the hassle we have now. If someone has an idea what can cause / solve these issues, please let me know. By the way; the Ikea remote(s) is still switching all paired lights. It’s Homey who lost several GU10’s which where connected via Ikea gateway app.

• Homey has some nice functionalities and I’m positive towards the usability. But it’s a really big disappoint looking at stability. I’ll understand that making use of the Ikea gateway app (every external designed app) is a step in the chain which possibly makes it weaker. But due to not able to work with homey-only / without the Ikea hub, and people explaining the Ikea hub makes it more stable, I choose for this solution.

1 Like

After a long time experimenting further it’s time to update :slight_smile: I’m now working with notifications which gives more insight. I tried to solve it in the way I describe in my detailed sharing experiences in this page. About the brightness change for more than 3 devices, I now manage that via the Group app, which works good with adjusting brightness for the 20(+) bulbs in the group. Maybe the group app takes care of what Homey struggles with… But unfortunately I’m loosing quite often Ikea GU10 bulbs via the gateway app in the homey app which causing a lot of frustrations in the house :frowning: - lights not able to turn off anymore.

It doesn’t, because the underlying issue is with Homey’s core. It’s a small miracle that you get it to work properly with that many devices at once, but hey, if it works, it works :+1:t2:

Very strange, especially if only some lights lose their connection, because the IKEA gateway app maintains only one connection with the gateway over which it sends all commands. Perhaps, but that’s just a guess, the gateway temporarily loses connection to the bulbs, communicates this to the gateway app, but the app doesn’t restore the status when the connection between the bulb and the gateway is restored.

I don’t think you’re using the experimental v5 firmware, but that has lots of Zigbee improvements. It may be worthwhile to wait until that becomes stable (or take the plunge and install it right now) and create a Homey-only Zigbee network and hope it works.

Thanks for jumping in Robert! I’m loosing more and more Ikea GU10’s on the Homey (connected via Ikea hub). It’s now approx 10 out of 50 bulbs I guess. Because I’m paring them to the Ikea hub with a remote (holding close, button push +/- 10 sec, flashing lights, bulb is added to the Ikea phone app) I can “nearly always” use that specific remote to turn the group off. Sometimes I need to re-pair (than it looks like a problem with the Ikea hub - that’s loosing connection). I’m now experimenting and my Ikea hub is not accessible, I struggled for a while to get it up again (tip: in case of issues, remove from app and add it to the hub via IP address, use network scanner, the name is “Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd” - so nothing indicates Ikea. I see that the GU10’s are not active anymore - so this is an issue separate from Homey. Need to figure out what caused the disappeared bulbs there. Strange detail; the remote can still manage all the bulbs in that room (8 GU10’s) also the ones that the app/hub indicates as not active anymore…

About the expt v5. No, I’m running latest stable. Thought several times about running exp v5 but I’m afraid for the downside. I read on this forum that the general opinion towards it is really reserved. I have a bucket of devices (the newest version of the large Aqara wall switchses - only old version supported and some power measuring on/off plugs from Robbshop - only supported in v5). Thought they would work, but not in latest stable. Would like to use them, but afraid of the downside of v5: Possibility that current devices are not working anymore, and quite tough to rollback to stable in case of the need. If you have a different (more positive) opinion about it, I appreciate it if you share it. I sadly accepted that the only solution is waiting for the moment that nobody knows when, the unicorn to appear, euh, v5 is stable… And than just create the complete setup from scratch again, NP if that will solve everything. Your running exp v5, if so, any experiences to share? Or maybe already shared somewhere else - of topic here.