The sad IR - infrared misery

Then are you sure you bought a Homey?
Homey doesn’t cost 600, not even nearly.

Athom has always stated that each brand should have their own app (they did so from the start), so even if it was possible to create such an amazing universal 433 mhz learning app, they wouldn’t have made it.
It isn’t so easy though, to create a universal app, there are a lot of inconsistencies with the 433 Mhz devices/brands, the few devices/brands that Can do it, it is the only thing they are doing, no z-wave, no zigbee, no BLE, etc.

So I like your logic too, that you bought a $600 dollar device, that doesn’t cost $600, but put no effort into it what it can do/how it works.
But also not sure why this is in a IR topic, IR is not RF, even though the IR database also lacks, it isn’t the same topic.

1 Like

What.! That is some hefty up tagging for exporting to the US conversion rate to dollar .

The US isn’t the only country in the world where the local currency is called “dollar”.

I paid 180 euros for a used H. so I can forgive it’s flaws. I don’t like your negativity, sell the damn thing.

3 Likes

Buy a Harmony Hub and the infrared theme is forever gone. From the air conditioning to the Fire TV, Homey controls everything for me with the Harmony Hub. Even if infrared would work properly with Homey, it always needs a line of sight to the device to be controlled. The perfect smart home can only be achieved if you combine the strengths of individual devices.

5 Likes

Ummm, did you actually read the comments i made in this thread.

In anyway did it sound like I don’t know what this product is. ?

I joined this forum months ago (with a few posts racked up now) on a product that I don’t know that I own… Umm yeah righttttt. Are you the one that is coherent and “with it” ?

Ummm , yeah it’s basically $600 give or take “one” dollar. There are about 32 countries in the world that call their currency “dollars”. You didn’t even bother researching the global prices of Homey before throwing your comments out there ?

The whole world just exists in your bubble (what ever country you live in) ? eh .

The “number” amount of a currency quoted is irrelevant. What matters is how much a product costs in relation to what an average person earns. In my case (Australia) a Homey Hub is about someone’s average earnings for about a week (give or take)., That is quite significant. If it’s less than other countries then this raises new questions as to if Athom are “looking after” some buyers at the expense of other buyers.

Also if trying to make a general comparison, in my country I can buy a Hubitate for $129 …:flushed:.

One thing I can also add. I definitely wasn’t talking about US dollars… Athom has never tried to sell in that country… A big mistake business wise. Seeing how more established the home automation market is there now is let’s see how that strategy went…:smirk:. Errrm… That ship already sailed. To late on that one…

Ummm , I didn’t understand anything you said there or any of your logic at ALL… ? That was an incoherent mess., :crazy_face: sorry

Recording an RF code and then repeating it back is technically as easy as trying to wake up. It’s not rocket science. It’s a very old technology. All the other manufacturers have no problem achieving this. Even cheap Chinese bridges can handle it.

90% of RF gear just uses a standard protocol. Most things you find on AliExpress etc etc just use a fairly standard protocol. For the the more “propriety” or exotic RF codes that some manufacturers choose to use there are plenty of open source modules that can handle this such as the Portisch firmware project (look it up) . It can record “raw” codes fairly well and then play them back from most gear … Athom could easily incorporate this code. It’s very light weight and handles a lot of stuff .

You make it sound like its rocket science, It’s just 433Mhz., You’ve been lied to mate. :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:… A $20 hub can do it no prob , with IR thrown in. Time to wake up…

As I said before you really need to do some research before you comment. Also no one here can understand most of your arguments. Is mostly incoherent. I have no idea on most of what you said…

Again , did you actually read this thread ?? I commented before that the poor IR functionality of the Homey Hub is very similar to the poor functionality of its 433Mhz feature. From there the discussion then changed course. You really need to know what your talking about before you post. :sleeping:

So you bought a cheap “used” unit that someone wanted to dump and get rid of. (Hmm Why, would they do that). Greatttt comparison. Very relevant to this subject . Good input .

Ok , let’s say (in what I call reality land) someone buys an expensive premium hub that is advertised as having a particular capability that other cheaper products can perform with no problem at all.

After buying this product (for a lot of money) , way more than the other hubs this person then finds out this features isn’t really functional at all (practically speaking) and it doesn’t work with most of the cheap generic 433Mhz products out there on the market and mostly only works with either an “out dated” database of devices., or devices from brand name companies that are “way” over priced considering how cheap this gear is to actually physically produce when a simple RF code learning feature (which Athom has stubbornly refused to implement) would solve so many problems for so many user. You are basically saying to this person (and all Homey owners) , ahhh shut up , what are ya complaining ya stupid b@tch’e… Don’t like it , just dump it ya a@hole’s…

Niceeeeee… very nice …

So you don’t like any of the rational , reasonable or logical comments that I’ve made ? You didn’t challenge or rebuke any of the points I made at all. All you can say is that pathetic response …

I’ve seen the phrase “Stockholm Syndrome “ mentioned a few times by others in this forum… From the comments that I’ve seen on this thread (and also in other threads ) I’m wondering if there is some element to this …

Is there a “bubble” that exists here.

Again we really have “Stockholm Syndrome” going on here…

Ok let’s unravel another beautiful piece of “logic”…

So we all purchased a very expensive device that was advertised as having 433Mhz and IR capabilities built in So your basically telling me, ahhh so these features don’t work properly. It’s not a problem. Go out and buy “another” device and add it onto my expensive device. This cheap device will “actually” do the job that the expensive device that I purchased won’t do properly. What are you complaining about !

Not interested in getting the manufacturer of the expensive device to get it to properly perform what it was advertised to do…

F@ck me , what ever crazy pills you people are on they work well … :crazy_face:

This discussion is getting too stupid for me. If you categorically reject all advice from forum members, no one will support them. I suggest they contact Athom directly and complain. I get off here before it turns into insults.

1 Like

Will gladly accept any challenging counter points to any the points that I’ve made.

I haven’t received any as of yet… ?

Just go and buy another hub and add it on , or huh “what problem” , or go run to my safe space …

No acknowledgement of the issues at all like they don’t even exist .,

I welcome any logically constructive or challenging arguments to what I’ve said …

Nothing ?

You might want to change the smartass attitude. Won’t get credits with that. Did you really come here for info or just to complain and fulminate?
And no, i am not going to challenge, it seems you know it all already.
And yes, i read (almost) everything you said earlier, so no need to ask that.

1 Like

Do you live in Stockholme as well ?

Again no one here is actually challenging the points that I’ve made.

Just recommendations of absurd compromises, complain that I’m complaining about this fundamental problem , or just revert to a safe space type mentality.

Will someone please challenge me to the points that I’ve made with a good logical counter point or argument ? Pleaseee.

No one will even debate this . I just get nonsense responses…

I feel like I’m living in crazy town here …

By By, maybe we’ll meet in Stockholm someday. I’m sure I’ll bring you a syndrome.

The Sad IR discussion.

Everyone’s point has been made.

So IR is bad. Yes. Is there room for improvement YES. Will this happen? NO. Is IR important for you, sell Homey or buy e.g. a Harmony hub or some other IR Hub.

3 Likes

I have homey regular which has ir that work flowless. I bought homey pro some time now. That one is 2 years newer then regular but has the same position, same config same everything as old one. On this new pro ir simply doesn’t work.

From above stated I thing on newer hardware revisions there is some phisical aka hardware issue. I recovered regular homey version to pro, so same config. I phisically placed Homey pro on the exact same location as previously, while TV that I controlled with ir is still on the same place. Pro IR doesn’t work regular yes.

I really don’t see what’s the relevance of that question. As is the case with a lot of your statements and assumptions.

I have given you very normal answers to your questions. Alas i don’t have a solution for your problem. But that doesn’t mean that you can scream around and treat others as morons. We are only members here, just as you are.

Again, stop being a wise-ass and communicate in a normal way. Maybe then people might want to communicate back.

2 Likes

Yes, Homey advertises IR technology. But as with all supported devices, you need an app to make it work. The (sad) point that every-one seems to be missing is that learning IR codes is an experimental function, as in: not officially supported. So, if anyone cares to make an app for an IR device that will probably work. If it doesn’t: then contact the developer.

But learnt codes are not guaranteed to work. And as far as I can tell, it isn’t promised that that will work. And because it doesn’t reliably for every one, and because it hasn’t since day one as far as I can tell, it is not likely that it will. Maybe, just maybe, because the new firmware is done there are some more resources a available they may some day. But I assume they are working on the new web interface now…

Also, as was with built in voice recognition, it will only work where Homy stands. And I don’t know about you, but IR devices are in pretty much every room. So relying on Homey is not a real good idea, and linking with cheap IR transmitters probably is. So for example Broadlink is not such a bad suggestion. My homey is in the hallway on the middle floor for optimal transmission reach in the whole house. No TV there…

2 Likes

At least someone willing to admit it …

You might have a physical issue with your particular unit.

The IR LEDs in my unit (physically) work fine. The point I’m making is I can’t make good use of them.

Half my gear isn’t on the data base (which is very incomplete). Unlike 433Mhz the IR feature does have code learning capability but Athom have buried this in the system and its a bit of a joke… It’s also broken and doesn’t work. It will record my remotes but often will not transmit or play them back… It registers the inputs no prob . I can see the app respond when I press the buttons on my remotes… Before anyone says I have faulty IR LEDs in my unit I’ve tested my Homey with an old Onkyo Amp that I own (pulled from the data base) … It works fine… Makes the amp turn on and off no prob…

The IR learning app is broken and seems to be Athom’s unwanted child .