[Tutorial] Presence detection with bluetooth beacon

First of all, there is no long range beacon, the max stable distance is 15 meter with a Tile pro 2018.

The issues you experiance are strange. Have seen that behaviour when the BLE module on Homey or Homey core is to bussy. This happens mostly on non-Homey Pro’s and lot of apps. The BLE module on Homey is not known to the most stable implementation also.

Best way to detect presence is a combiation of options. Ble beacons/geo/wifi/sensors.

I would suggest you remove all beacons from all devices. Remove the Tile pro app. Pair one Tile pro 2018 to Homey. (Set tile in discovery mode once, because they get a new sigature sometimes) and play for that one for a while.

Verify that the beacon is in close range when ‘inside zone’.
Verify that the beacon is ‘outside/inside zone’ in de device its status and that it is not a flow that is incorrect or misconfigured.

If you have a repreducable bug please add a bug issue on github.

wifi doesn’t work anymore, as in, the app isn’t updated is it?

Geo is… battery wise, so intens… :S.
Ah well, I love the app, it works perfect for me and my …guest :wink:

First of all, to set the outline; it SHOULD work with a Tile-2018.
I have both Tile-types, 1 Pro 2020 en 2 Pro-2018’s (Urb). As described above, the 2020 does not work (yet) on Homey, but the 2018 version does. I’ll describe how I installed them, so you can try that, when you have deleted all Tiles to start over again.

• First download Tile-app on your phone.
  • Register your 2018 Tile and adjust settings (name, ringtone etc if you wish).
  • Then delete Tile app from your phone.
  • Install beacon-app (from Leendert de Kok) in Homey.
  • Search for your fresh registered Tile 2018 and add it to Homey devices.
  • For testing-purposes make flow that notifies you in the timeline when the beacon is out of reach and when it comes in reach again. Now you’ll get a nice overview when a Tile starts “flippering” or when it’s out of reach of your homey when you leave the house, or gets back in view when you return home.

This works for me. The Tile suffers from some “flippering”, mostly 1 time during the night (no idea what causes this), but because of the combination flow with my doorsensors, it doesn’t create a false presence-status.

Please let us know if this solves your problem with the 2018-Tile and if not, please attach timeline with outages. If there’s some consistency, you maybe have an external factor causing you’re Tile2018 not to work as it should.

2 Likes

The “flikkering” looks like it comes from Homey core. Sometimes 1:100000 there is no discovery result.

Thats not an issue according to Athom. I’ve made a fix for that by counting the time that happens. But then the discovery sequence get cached for 5 minuten. So that meganism doesn’t anymore. An option to bypass that was not debateble by athom.

A reboot each night “solves” it

1 Like

Sorry

How about tile 2020?
Is it ging to work in the near future?

Ik heb deze gekocht bij Ali voor maar 16 euries; https://tinyurl.com/vwnvp26 en hij werkt al een maand met de Homey app van Leendert De Kok.
En wanneer er een software update komt van de app dan probeer ik weer de Tile beacons of ze dit keer wel werken.

Thanks for your suggestions Roy… I’ve taken some time to find out, test and find out some more. Here’s my votes:

• deleted everything, apps, flows from phone and Homey

• installed apps (beacon, tile)

• rediscovered tiles (8 in total). All are recognised

• all are in Tile app…

• hiding in Tile app… Homey sees them all

• created small flows (detect tile: set variable, set user home. undetect tile: set variable, set user away)

• seems to work…
    UNTIL

• beacon is on 1st or 2nd floor…

• the distance/wall is a problem… BTLE doesn’t go through wall…

• sometimes beacon seems to hang and don’t discover Tile

I’m betting a reboot every so often combined with a BT-repeater (any advise?) or PIE-BT interface might do the trick.

Thanks for all the advise; I’ll keep you posted.

KR,
Freek

Probably a stupid question and I could be missing some information but instead of such a beacon tile thingy, can’t one simply connect its phone? If it’s in range it will connect and presence is detected, out of range the opposite…??

When the app performs a search for tiles, it does find all other Bluetooth devices around, including any phones, smart watches etc.
Haven’t tested myself, but my guess same as yours, it should work with a phone.

Ok, this is what happens:

• in range <4m, 1 or less walls: beacon stays discovered
  • range >4m, 1 or more walls: beacon disappears every now and then (set discovery/undiscovery parameters wider).
    The REAL issue is: range! The beacons and the Homey antenna are the way they are… we can’t change that :frowning: So, what to do?

Does ANYONE know

• about a BT(LE) repeater… IR and WiFi knows this type of device. Simply repeat a packet in another device… I can’t find anything alike
    OR
  • a link to a e.g. one or more Pie(s) that reads BT(LE) and injects into Homey?

KR,

For some reason it does not find any phones in my case… Specific settings that need to be made?

I know but that kind of defeats the purpose… (the timer is kind of build into the app, isn’t it: #times in, #times out and rescan time). I think a BT(LE) repeater/booster is the solution OR (as I stated previously) a BT(LE) sensor (Pie) that reports back to Homey.
KR,
F

Can I use the Tile button (e.g. Double Tap) to trigger a Homey Flow?

Just ordered 2 Tile Pro’s. One for me and one for the Missus. Fingers crossed getting it up and running.

My question is; after adding and hiding the tile in it’s native app, is there a way to keep the app installed? I’ve read a post that stated the Tile appears/disappears in Homey when the hide/show switch is toggled in the native Tile app.

I just wonder if the Tile app can still be used to find your keys if needed by temporarily un-hide the tile (at the same time making it undiscoverable for Homey), find your keys and put the Tile back in hidden mode (at the same time making it discoverable for Homey again).

In this case (or else?) would it be wise to register 2 separate Tile-accounts, both with one Tile added, so that me and the missus have our own app (so that she doesn’t ‘need’ MY phone to find HER keys)? Or we can search for each others keys…

But, maybe the Bluetooth connection needs to be Forgotten on iPhone to get the Tile advertising itself and this all doesn’t matter. One would need the lost keys to setup a new BT pair. Any thoughts on this?

Hi Nox, the Tile pro’s 2020 are not supported unfortunately.

To bad NoX.
As Peter allready said, the Tile Pro’s are not supported :frowning:
I had the same, and now have two Tile pro’s just laying around doing nothing.

Lapa 2 are working pretty well: https://www.amazon.de/Lapa-Bluetooth-Tracker-Schlüssel-Smartphone-Blau-Schwarz-Weiss/dp/B01FI5Q0ZU

1 Like

Hello Peter and Patrick,

First of all thanks for your concerns regarding my set-up. But, if there is one lesson I’ve learned since I’m a Homey owner, it would be; check compatibility before buying!!

So, prior to ordering, I read almost all 450+ posts in this topic to make sure I wouldn’t end up with non working devices.

As written in the OP by the developer of the Beacon app, Tile Pro is on the short list of devices tested to work with the app. And they work flawlessly so far.

Peter; I never mentioned ordering Tile Pro 2020
Patrick; your statement is incorrect. Tile Pro is working 100%… just not the newest Tile Pro 2020 version.

Maybe you both didn’t realise there are 2 versions of Tile Pro? The newest 2020 version will not work… the previous Tile Pro’s work like intended.

In addition to this I now can confirm/answer my own question… hiding the Tile in the native app is enough to get things working. You don’t have to delete the app or unpair device. So… in case of losing your keys, un-hide Tile in native app>find keys>hide Tile again. Also, because we have 2 Tiles, we made the decision to both install the app (separate accounts with one Tile). All works as expected. :+1:

3 Likes