ZWave Network Heal

The magic happend. All my zwave devices are working pretty nice nowadays.
Now building many flows :slight_smile:

To stick on topic: the zwave network heal functionality is not doing anything (overhere). Best is:

• PtP pull the plug (unchain the adapter from Homey also!)
  • press 3 or 4 times on the zwave devices with a button

Happy homey!

Homey should implement a “Zwave Optimization” option like one used by Zipato.

Simply build a map of devices that can “see” each other and build optimum routes from one device to another and send these optimum route to the specific devices. Make it possible to schedule this or trigger it manually,

Why a function like this is needed?
Because for example. I use about 7 fibaro wall plugs in my living room.
These are often moved arround like with chrismass to power the tree and other lights. In this time of year we have lights in places we normally don’t use lights and the wallplugs are very handy to use at this time.
Except there is one big issue. When I place the wallplugs back in their original location the old routes are still used and some dimmers used the wallplugs as a hop and are now unable to connect.

With a Network Optimization option all devices are polled (if only) and a new mesh is formed by collecting neighbour devices from each zwave device and give a value to various devices.
For example use value 100 for devices that are battery powered, value 50 for devices that are always powered, but can easily be pulled from power by someone, like a Wallplug, use value 10 for build-in devices like dimmers or other modules with fixed power.
The controller gets value 1.
Now you build a route using the least cost. So directly to the controller only costs 1. A hop using a Wallplug results in 51 and when hopping over a fixed dimmer results in 11. That route is the cheapest, thus the best route. It is also better to hop over 2 to 4 fixed dimmers than over a single Wallplug.
This way a more reliable network is created that remains stable even when someone removes Wallplugs or something equal from the network.

2 Likes

unfortunately routing is configured by the z-wave module, and Athom have no control over this. They can force a routing update table from a device, but cant force their own routing tables onto the device or Homeys inbuilt chip either.
I hear you in regards to the Zipato routing update tool, this is great to activate and sit back and wait a few minutes or hour, and watch the whole z-wave network update properly. Also, Zipato has the option of reducing the dbi output so you can also “force” routes to a degree also. But alas Homey does not, nor does it have great range to begin with.
So I think the best option is simply to run the “test frame” and heal from within the developers page a few times. Eventually the node will update properly. Otherwise I found power cycling the device works well. Good luck.

Would it be an option to use “Send Raw Data” on the developer site to remove a ghost node? I have a node number 128 which is listed in in the route of a, currently, unreachable node. A heal on this node results in a “Network Request Failed” and “Sen Test Frame” results in “TRANSMIT_COMPLETE_NO_ACK”. A Test command results in “Node 55 Unreachable”.
My highest node number is 64, and sure as hell I have never seen any node 128 in my system.

Is there a way to remove a node (in this case 128) by sending a raw data command to it?

If a node shows it is “unreachable” it means it missed a command from the controller at some time. But that doesn’t mean it is really not working. In 99.9% of the cases the device is working fine. You can simply use the “Test” command to determine that (and also the basic on/off command if it is a switch). However, if it is a battery powered device it could be offline to save battery and the command will fail.

If the node really is unreachable (and therefore probably would be marked “unknown” after a reboot of Homey), the path of that device is a fake path because it couldn’t (and currently can’t) be determined.

Is the unreachable node (not the ghost node) a mains powered or battery powered node?

No, it’s not possible. But don’t worry about this, when you make the "Unreachable” node, reachable again, or remove it, then the high node-numbers will be gone.

The “Test” command is not very reliable in this case, several times it gave “reachable” for a device without wires or batteries, the “Heal” command gave better results and there after, also “Test” did not find the device anymore!

Thanks.
Unfortunately the unreachable node is a Qubino shutter relay, built in behind a switch. Meaning that I have to unplug Homey, wait 10 minutes, then plug it in (very) near the shutter switch, wait around 20-30 minutes and try again. Probably have to exclude and include again.
I have been doing this a lot the last few weeks. Rather annoying when you’ve bought a 399 euro controller… I was hoping there was an easier way.

Who says it is the controller? On what base do you conclude that? Are all Z-wave devices behaving like this? Or only the Qubino who might suffer from massive interference because it is in hidden in a wall being behind 220v lines? :thinking: :innocent:

Did you try to (temporarily) place another device (Plug) in between the Shutter Relay and Homey to see if a better Mesh is build? Doing this automatic can take some time, or use Heal to speed it up a bit.

I have Qubino and Fibaro switches, sensors, dimmers, shutter controls and Vision and Popp alarms. They all need to be close to Homey to be included. So, when one becomes unreachable, it is a bit of a hassle to restore it. I described that above. Especially when the node that is unreachable apparently became unreachable because of the sudden appearance of a ghost node.
So I don’t think this has to do with the Qubino switch, nor with the fact that it is in a housing together with 230VAC lines. These switches ar designed for that, and it would be a bit awkward if a 50Hz signal interfered with a 866Mhz signal. Or am I wrong?

@JPe4619 that is a good idea! I will try to do that, and also do a PTP on Homey to see if that helps. I’ll do that tomorrow (have to go now) and let you know.

1 Like
  • EVERY device need to be close to homey to include. Even with other controllers, at least the ones i used so far.
  • The node didn’t become unreachable because of a ghost node, the ghost node appears because your device became unreachable and the path can’t be determined.
  • If the range is a problem (and it often is with Homey) then it does make a (huge) difference where your switch is located, specially if there are no other repeating devices nearby.
  • It isn’t the 50hz, it’s the electricity in the wires and the wiring itself that shields the signals.

But maybe after you re-add it, you should leave Homey near the Qubino for a while and see if it comes unavailable again.

Not with Fibaro HC2, I didnt have to move controller single time when adding devices within their original place. It had something like NWI - network wide inclusion feature.
With Homey, I was able to add zigbee and zwave sometimes pretty far as well. But chances were 50:50. I do have antenna mod :slight_smile:

Ok well, then my advise would be to get an HC2. Problem solved. :+1:

Man, I dont know whats wrong with you people here. Everybody is so sensitive :slightly_smiling_face:. I was just reporting that there are controllers that can handle it from dostance…

2 Likes

well, if every device has to be near homey to include, is not actually thru in my case. All fibaro and Coolcam wired devices that i have, i included them without moving Homey . from attic to garden, they all include from a distance.

Who’s sensitive? I try to help, give some options, it is ignored because in your mind Homey is the cause. So then what is wrong with my advice? You want your problem solved or not?

My problem with the ghost node is fixed, for now at least. What I did was the following:

• Unplugged Homey >10 min
  • Placed Homey close to the node that was unreachable and had the ghost node.
  • Plugged in Homey and waited >30 min
  • Removed the unreachable node via the developers website
  • Included the shutter relay again
  • Unplugged Homey >10 min
  • Re-positioned Homey back to the original location, plugged it in and waited >30 min.

As you can see, a rather cumbersome procedure which I don’t want to repeat too often.

To reply to some of @PetervdK suggestions:

The node didn’t become unreachable because of a ghost node, the ghost node appears because your device became unreachable and the path can’t be determined.

This is very interesting information because I haven’t seen this yet in any other threads on the subject of ghost nodes. Lots of people have this “ghost node problem”. Thanks for sharing!

If the range is a problem (and it often is with Homey) then it does make a (huge) difference where your switch is located, specially if there are no other repeating devices nearby.

Actually this specific device was right next to another Qubino shutter relay. The installation boxes are right next to each other. The relay had been working fine for some time until the ghost node suddenly appeared. I have seen ghost nodes before in my system, and mostly they disappeared after some time. So probably indeed when the route was re-established by Homey.

It isn’t the 50hz, it’s the electricity in the wires and the wiring itself that shields the signals.

This wasn’t the case with this Qubino relay, as I make sure that all relays are installed correctly and directly behind the physical switch.

Then that can be the problem. If i put several Coolcam plugs too close to each other they tend to keep changing the mesh. I guess because they all want to use each other as neighbor which leads to nowhere… I placed them further away from each other and now it’s working fine. Although one of them tends to use a very illogical route now and then, sometimes resulting is some delay in response.

Hello question i have multiple fibaro dim2 devices connected with 1 light. Is it necessary to connect both the dimmers to homey to get a better mesh network? And then you get multiple devices with the same working?